time in

Contributed by Shannon Loucks

Often the world around us sends a message that when the going gets tough, we need a time-out. We get this in commercials for tired parents who need a vacation from it all, and from mainstream parenting books that insist that a troubled child certainly needs a time-out to regain their composure (or, more honestly, to behave the way the parent would prefer).

Recently, through my own tough moments, I have begun to recognize that time-ins actually work much more smoothly to restore peace. Time-in connection with my children fills me up and reminds me just why I want to spend so much time with them. Time-in connection with my children heals the places within me that perhaps were undernourished.

Time-in, one-on-one relationship with each of my children feeds a need within us both to blossom and grow in our awareness of one another.

Time-in relationship with my partner heals the rushed moments and un-thoughtful comments that have passed between us in hurried interactions.

Time-in reflection with myself restores my commitment to live fully, joyfully, respectfully, lovingly, and passionately.